Awards & Recognition
US News & World Report Rankings
UF Health Shands Hospital
No other Florida hospital has as many adult and pediatric specialties ranked among the nation’s best as University of Florida Health Shands Hospital, with the U.S. News & World Report 2021-22 Best Hospitals survey relect the health system’s stature as a longstanding leader in Florida and regional health care.
- UF Health Shands placed six adult medical specialties among the nation’s elite programs, an honor achieved by few health systems in the United States. The six specialties include urology (32nd), ear, nose and throat (32nd), pulmonology and lung surgery (37th), geriatrics (42nd-tie), gynecology (45th), and cardiology and heart surgery (50th). Four of these specialties — urology, pulmonology and lung surgery, gynecology, and cardiology and heart surgery — are ranked the highest in Florida, underscoring UF Health’s position as the Southeast’s preeminent health center.
- In addition to ranked specialties, five UF Health Shands specialties were rated as “high performing,” meaning they were in the top 10% of all hospitals nationally scored in that specialty. Those were cancer, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, neurology and neurosurgery, and orthopaedics.
- In the procedures and conditions ratings, UF Health Shands was ranked “high performing” in 11 areas. Those include abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, colon cancer surgery, knee replacement, lung cancer surgery, in addition to the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, heart failure, heart attack, stroke, pneumonia, diabetes and kidney failure.
UF Health Shands Children's Hospital
- The University of Florida Health Shands Children’s Hospital is the No. 1 children’s hospital in Florida and stands among the nation’s elite pediatric hospitals in eight medical specialties including a first-ever top 10 ranking in cardiology and a historically high ranking for pulmonology, according to the 2021-22 Best Children’s Hospitals rankings released by U.S. News & World Report. Every ranked medical specialty program improved its standing from last year and the eight ranked programs are the most for UF Health since 2016. The No. 7 ranking for pediatric cardiology punctuates 11 years among the nation’s top programs, including six consecutive years in the top 25. Seven other specialties made significant gains in the rankings, including pulmonology (No. 21), diabetes and endocrinology (No. 12), neurology and neurosurgery (No. 45), cancer (No. 45), urology (No. 46), neonatology (No. 47) and nephrology (No. 48). Overall, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital is ranked No. 5 among pediatric hospitals in the nine-state southeast region.
UF Health Jacksonville
- UF Health Jacksonville ranked among the nation’s best in ear, nose and throat (ENT) care according to the 2021-22 U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. UF Health Jacksonville also received high-performing honors in urology, and in the patient care procedures/conditions of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, heart failure, heart attack, diabetes, kidney failure, stroke and pneumonia.
ANCC Magnet Designation
In summer 2018, UF Health Shands hospitals and programs achieved a fourth-consecutive Magnet designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) — the profession’s top recognition for quality patient outcomes and nursing excellence. Only 8 percent of hospitals and health systems nationwide have received Magnet designation, and only 41 out of 500 hospitals have four consecutive awards. UF Health Jacksonville received this honor in 2011 and subsequently in 2016. Each designation lasts four years.
Since 2003, the following UF Health hospitals and programs have earned Magnet designation from the ANCC: UF Health Shands, including UF Health Shands Hospital, UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital, UF Health Shands HomeCare, UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital, UF Health Psychiatric Hospital; UF Health Florida Surgical Center; UF Health Children’s Surgical Center; UF Health Endoscopy Center; UF Health Dialysis Center; UF Health Heart & Vascular Hospital; and UF Health Neuromedicine Hospital.
Best Employer Honors
- UF Health ranks 53rd on the Forbes’ list of Florida’s 100 best workplaces in 2021.
- UF Health ranks 31st on Forbes' list of best workplaces in the nation for women in 2021.
- UF Health Shands ranks 20th on Indeed’s list of 25 “Best Hospitals” in the U.S in 2019.
Top Hospital Honors
In 2020, UF Health Shands was listed among the Becker’s Healthcare list of 100 Great Hospitals in America. The organizations included are nationally recognized for excellence in clinical care, patient outcomes and staff and physician satisfaction, as well as patient satisfaction and industry innovation.
UF Health Shands was named to the 2020 Fortune/IBM Watson Health 100 Top Hospitals list, the only health system in the southeastern U.S. in the “major teaching hospital” division of the Fortune/IBM Watson Health top 100 list. Hospitals on that list had better results on a wide array of indicators, including mortality, length of stay, patient experience, clinical outcomes and infections.
Lung transplant program receives top national honors
The UF Health Shands Hospital lung transplant program tops the list as the best in the United States for one-year risk-adjusted survival rates, according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients, SRTR.
SRTR annually evaluates transplant programs around the country for metrics whose importance to transplant candidates are intuitive: how many reach the one-year post-transplant survival mark, how quickly you can get a transplant and survival rates on the wait list.
Cancer Center of Excellence
In 2021, the UF Health Cancer Center was once again recognized as a state-designated Cancer Center of Excellence by the Florida governor’s office and the Florida Department of Health. The designation by the Florida Legislature recognizes hospitals and treatment centers that demonstrate excellence in patient-centered coordinated care for people undergoing cancer treatment and chemotherapy.
This is the Cancer Center’s third consecutive designation.
UF Health pediatric and adult ECMO program earns prestigious international award
In 2021, the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization gave UF Health its Gold Level ELSO Award for Excellence in Life Support for its exceptional care in using extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, or ECMO, in both the pediatric and adult programs.
UF Health joins Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation Care Center Network
UF Health was designated as a member of the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation’s Care Center Network in 2018, making it one of just 60 medical centers nationwide with the highest level of expertise and resources for the treatment of interstitial lung disease. The UF Health interstitial lung disease program serves a large geographic area in central and northern Florida, southern Georgia and southern Alabama. The closest member of the network is in Charleston, S.C., about 316 miles away.
Greening the OR Recognition Award
In recognition for its achievement and innovation in health care sustainability, UF Health Shands Hospital received the 2020 Greenhealth Partner for Change Award and the 2020 Greening the OR Recognition Award from Practice Greenhealth, the nation's leading organization dedicated to environmental sustainability in health care.
In March 2015, UF Health Shands Hospital was awarded the Baby-Friendly designation by Baby-Friendly USA, a global initiative of the World Health Organization and UNICEF that recognizes birthing facilities that implement specific breastfeeding procedures.
AACN Beacon Awards for Excellence
UF Health Shands currently has three nursing care units with active Beacon Awards for Excellence issued by the American Association of Critical-Care Nurses: the Pediatric ICU (gold), the Trauma/Lung Transplant Unit (gold), and the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (silver).
A Beacon Award — recognized at a gold, silver or bronze level — is a three-year designation that recognizes nursing teams that meet national criteria consistent with Magnet recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and the National Quality Healthcare Award. The award identifies individual nursing units that promote healthy work environments conducive to collaboration, and collect and use evidence-based research to improve patient outcomes, patient and staff satisfaction and credibility. Beacon Award criteria include leadership structures and systems; appropriate staffing and staff engagement; effective communication, knowledge management, learning and development; and evidence-based practices and processes.
- The UF Health Science Center is a world leader in interdisciplinary research, and consistently generates more than 50 percent of UF's total research awards.
- The UF Health Shands Comprehensive Stroke Center is certified by The Joint Commission and the American Stroke Association/American Heart Association. Comprehensive stroke center certification recognizes hospitals that have state-of-the-art infrastructure, experienced staff and extensive training to receive and treat people with simple and complex strokes. The UF Health Shands Comprehensive Stroke Center has been certified by The Joint Commission as a testament to meeting comprehensive stroke center standards and requirements, including advanced imaging capabilities, 24/7 availability of specialized treatments and staff with unique education and competency standards. The UF Health Shands Comprehensive Stroke Center is now part of an elite group of providers focused on quality stroke care. Comprehensive stroke centers are recognized as industry leaders and are responsible for setting the national agenda in expert stroke care.
- UF Health Jacksonville is designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Agency for Health Care Administration; and is certified as a Comprehensive Stroke Center with the Gold Seal of Approval™ by The Joint Commission. The hospital is also a recipient of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold (UF Health Jacksonville Gold Plus) Performance Achievement Award.
- A total of 1,167 employees donated to the 2020 UF Health Shands United Way of North Central Florida campaign to raise more than $252,000 for Floridians in need.
- 2019 was the 9th year in a row that UF Health was the number one top fund raising company for the American Heart Association’s Alachua County Heart Walk, raising $47,229 with 1,200 registered walkers.
- In 2019, 21 teams made up of 486 UF Health employees participated in the American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk and raised more than $41,500 for the event – a record-breaking effort!
UF Health Rehab Hospital Ranked Among Nation's Best
Newsweek has recognized UF Health Rehab Hospital on its list of "America's Best Physical Rehab Centers" for 2021. The hospital came in at #3 for the state of Florida.