Pancreatic cancer surgery
UF Health surgeons provide quality, innovative care to pancreatic diseases.
We offer the latest in surgical care for both benign diseases and cancer, including laparoscopic procedures for patients who are candidates for minimally invasive surgery, including the Whipple procedure. Steven J. Hughes, MD, chief of the division of general surgery at UF, is one of a handful of surgeons in the world pioneering the performance of this complex procedure. Laparoscopic surgery uses fewer, smaller incisions - Dr. Hughes is actively researching whether laparoscopic Whipple procedures result in fewer complications and a faster recovery. Dr. Hughes and his colleagues at UF Health perform about 100 a year, which is a high volume for such a complex procedure.
UF Health pancreatic surgeons work closely with gastroenterologists and other specialists from the University of Florida Health Gastrointestinal (GI) Oncology Center to provide a comprehensive, compassionate and multidisciplinary approach to caring for patients diagnosed with cancers of the digestive organs. They perform surgeries at UF Health Shands Hospital, recently ranked one of the nation’s top hospitals for cancer care by U.S. News & World Report, as well as one of the region’s top hospitals for gastroenterology and GI surgery.
UF Health pancreatic surgeons care for patients from throughout Florida and the nation. Each patient receives personalized and individualized care and treatments to optimize outcomes. Up-to-date volume and outcome data is openly provided during consultation.
UF Health pancreatic surgeons focus on the following conditions and treatments:
Meet our UF Health pancreatic surgeons:
To make an appointment, please call 352.265.0535.
Make an Appointment
Schedule an appointment with one of our specialty multi-disciplinary teams by calling the following numbers:
- Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer Center
- Preston A. Wells, Jr., Center for Brain Tumor Therapy
- UF Health Breast Center
- Pediatric Cancer Center
- GI Cancer Center
- Urologic Cancer Center
- Gynecologic Cancer Center
- Head and Neck Cancer Center
- Lung Cancer Center
- Adult Medical Oncology
- Skin Cancer and Melanoma Center
- UF Health Hematology/Oncology - Davis Cancer Pavilion
- UF Health Radiation Oncology - Davis Cancer Pavilion
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
- UF Health Shands Children's Hospital
- UF Health Shands Hospital
- UF Health Jacksonville Cancer Center
- UF Health Proton Therapy Insititute
Support and Resources
Find a Cancer Doctor
Browse our directory to find UF physicians and other health care providers offering cancer care services.
- UF physician, colleagues identify successful blood cancer therapy
- Targeting tumors may help stop spread of breast, other cancers
- $10 million Wells Foundation gift will enable UF to speed brain tumor remedies
- UF&Shands Park Avenue Imaging Center receives excellence accreditation
- UF, Moffitt researchers find blood cancer may be more common than realized