Hands - chapped and dry
To prevent chapped hands:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure or exposure to extreme cold or wind.
- Avoid washing hands with hot water.
- Limit hand washing as much as possible while maintaining good hygiene.
- Try to keep the air in your home humid.
- Use mild soaps or non-soap cleansers.
- Use moisturizing lotions on your hands regularly, especially if you live in a dry climate.
To soothe chapped and sore hands:
- Apply skin lotion frequently (if this does not work, try creams or ointments).
- Avoid putting your hands in water unless necessary.
- If your hands do not improve, contact a dermatologist.
- Very strong hydrocortisone creams (available by prescription) are recommended for badly chapped hands.
- Wear gloves for doing everyday chores (cotton is best).
Habif TP. Eczema and hand dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 3.
Paige DG, Wakelin SH. Skin disease. In: Kumar P, Clark M, eds. Kumar and Clarke's Clinical Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2017:chap 31.