- Adult Clinics
- Pediatric Clinics
- Diabetes Risk Test
- Donating to GSD
- GSD Team
- Links and Resources
- Nutrition Corner
Continuing Education Program For Health Care Professionals
The Diabetes Institute, its clinical teams, educators and researchers believe in the right of each individual to achieve and maintain the highest degree of wellness—recognizing that good health is fundamental to a desirable quality of life.
Based on this belief, the Mission of our Institute is:
- To assure access to comprehensive clinical services in a caring environment, unconditionally responsive to the needs of our patients, their families and those who must provide support.
- To advocate and collaborate on public policies that guarantees those who must live with diabetes, a responsive and sensitive health care environment.
- To provide educational programming for patients which enhances the individual’s understanding of diabetes and their ability to effectively manage the disease while avoiding the life threatening complications—Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME).
- To facilitate the learning and education of professionals and of future health care providers relative to the medical and emotional care and treatment of those who may seek guidance about the disease.
- To conduct original scientific research and promote the advancement of technology enabling us to cure diabetes in the next decade – a disease which affects millions of Americans and countless others worldwide.
Goal: Improve patient outcomes regarding insulin management
Does the Patient Get It?
Participants will be able to:
- Discuss rationale for initiation of insulin.
- Instruct a patient on appropriate initiation of insulin with both vials/syringes and pens/pen needles including basic instruction on storage guidelines and injection techniques.
- Instruct a patient on prevention of hypoglycemia and appropriate treatment guidelines.
That’s up to you!
This in-service is available as a one hour lunch-n-learn and can be made available to staff in the UF Health Network. Any healthcare professional interested in fine tuning their skills regarding insulin initiation for patients should take this course.
Whether you are brand new or have been doing this for years, diabetes management is like cell phones... constantly changing.
You may need an upgrade.
Call: 352-265-8548 to schedule
Speakers and Planning Committee
- Lori Blanton, BS, CHES
- Amy Aponick, MPH, RD, LD/N, CDE
- Courtney Puentes, RN, CDE eligible
- Amber Wilhoit, RD, LD/N, CDE
- Kathryn A. Parker, RD, LD/N
Call: 352-265-8548 to schedule
- 1 Continuing Nursing Education Contact Hour
Shands Healthcare is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Georgia Nurses Association, an accredited provider by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s COA Approved provider status does not imply endorsement by the provider, ANCC, GNA of any products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
The UF Health Diabetes Self-Management Program is covered by most insurance policies if the patient is referred by a physician. Financial counselors will work with patients and their insurance companies regarding payment.
- For more information, please contact us at (352) 265-8548.
- To refer patients, please fill out the UF Health Diabetes Self-Management Education Program Referral Form.