Gastric tissue biopsy and culture: Approach to Care
Our GI Cancer Center patients receive compassionate care from nationally recognized physicians and other health care professionals who are developing improvements in cancer diagnosis, treatment and prevention. Our medical experts offer state-of-the-art treatment options, including national cooperative and novel local investigator initiated clinical trials, for cancers of the:
- Small Intestine
With one phone call, 352-265-0990, patients can schedule all appointments and receive personal assistance from our experienced GI Cancer Center Coordinator, an experienced nurse who is available to answer questions and coordinate medical services.
Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
Situated in one of the nation’s top academic universities, the GI Cancer Center brings together numerous researchers and clinicians dedicated to helping cancer patients. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists meets weekly to carefully review patient information and develop the best possible treatment plan for each individual.
The multidisciplinary treatment team includes physicians, nurses and staff who can provide extensive experience in many areas of prevention, diagnosis and treatment. Our patients benefit from numerous services including:
- Integrated clinical experience
- Surgical oncology
- Medical oncology
- Radiation oncology
- Weekly GI cancer tumor board
- Clinical trial enrollment
- Psychosocial support
- Genetic counseling
- Social workers
- Patient educators and resources
- Personal wellness and rehabilitation programs
- Nutrition counseling
- Spiritual guidance
- Palliative care
- Home care
- Prevention and screening
- Support groups
State-of-the-Art Technology and Innovative Therapy
Our renowned experts utilize the latest innovative technology to provide extensive treatment options. We offer a wide range of options, some in convenient outpatient settings, including:
- Sphincter preserving procedures including: trans-anal resection, trans-anal endoscopic microsurgery, trans-sacral resection and low rectal cancer resection with colo-anal J pouch reconstruction
- Sphincter preserving chemo-radiotherapy for anal carcinomas
- Minimally invasive or laparoscopic resection of the colon, rectum, pancreas and other areas of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Spleen preserving pancreatic surgery
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy for some gastrointestinal tract cancers
- Precision external beam radiotherapy including: 3-D Conformal (3DCRT), Intensity Modulated Radiotherapy (IMRT), Image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT) and Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT).
- Intra-operative radiotherapy services including: brachytherapy for retroperitoneal sarcoma and recurrent malignancies after prior radiotherapy.
- Radiofrequency ablation of liver tumors
- Chemoembolization of liver tumors
- Radioactive micro-spheres for the treatment of liver tumors
- Proton beam therapy for some gastrointestinal malignancies
- Trans-hiatal or trans-thoracic esophagectomy