How to Volunteer
Volunteer Services at UF Health Shands Hospital
Welcome to UF Health Shands Hospital Volunteer Services, and thank you for considering UF Health Shands Hospital as a place to volunteer.
UF Health Shands Hospital has five different volunteer programs, each with its own application process:
- Review our service areas to decide where you would like to volunteer
- Understand our application process for each area
Interviews and Acceptance
- Interviews for college-age volunteers are scheduled at the beginning of each semester (January, May and August).
- Interviews for adult volunteers are available year round on an individual basis.
- Volunteers are not accepted for court-ordered or community service hours that need to be completed.
- Volunteers who have cars and are willing to drive are needed and will be accepted through the year.
Log into myTraining (Non-UF students will need to create a temporary account to access the online orientation materials. Click here for a guide to walk you through the process). Complete the following training modules:
- HIPAA & Privacy – General Awareness (UF_PRV800_OLT)
- Hospitality & Service Standards of Behavior
- UF Health Volunteer Orientation (UFHS_VS_VolunteerOrientation_OLT)
Print the certificate of completion for each training module. Certificates can be accessed by clicking on the small certificate icon next to each module listed in your “Training Transcript”.
The general volunteer uniform is a UF Health Shands Hospital volunteer shirt, which can be purchased at the hospital gift shop, worn with khaki pants and close-toed shoes. Badges provided by the Volunteer Department complete the uniform.
College students who volunteer are asked to commit to one full semester for a three hour shift once a week. Volunteers are allowed two absences during each semester. Those who have more than two absences during a semester must make up any additional absences.
UF parking surrounds the UF Health Shands Hospital facility. UF students should use their current campus parking decal. Students who do not have a UF decal can park in the parking garages for a fee. Any other volunteers should contact the Volunteer Services Department at 352-265-0360 for assistance.
Volunteers must leave their personal belongings in lockers at the Volunteer office. Locks are provided by the Volunteer Services department.