Memory and Cognitive Disorders
The multidisciplinary team at the UF Memory and Cognitive Disorders Clinic is committed to advancing the level of neurological care by pioneering new techniques, developing new treatments and bringing discoveries to patients diagnosed with memory and cognitive disorders:
- Language disorders (speaking, reading and/or writing)
- A decline in activities of daily living or job performance
- Spatial disorders such as getting lost in the neighborhood or home
- Facial and emotional recognition
- Executive disorders such as difficulty with decision-making, planning activities or completing tasks
- Inappropriate behaviors
As an academic program, we also provide opportunities to participate in innovative research designed to increase the understanding of the brain and diseases that cause brain dysfunction, such as Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular dementias or many other kinds of progressive dementias, as well as to test promising new therapies for these diseases.
The University of Florida Behavioral and Cognitive Neurology team evaluates each patient and summarizes the evaluation in a detailed report, which helps determine recommended follow-up tests and therapies. The reports are available to the consulting physicians and to the family for ongoing questions, discussion or recommendations regarding long-term care management.
The clinic is one of thirteen memory disorder clinics or centers in Florida to receive partial support from the Florida Department of Elder Affairs and the Alzheimer’s Disease Initiative, a statewide program addressing the concerns of people in Florida who are dealing with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
With ongoing education and research, the UF Health Shands Hospital team is increasing information about brain-related functions, brain changes and new treatments for diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer's disease and related disorders.
Preparing for Your Clinic Visit
Be prepared to spend a several hours during your visit at the clinic. Here is a checklist of the things that you will need to bring with you or have prepared before your visit:
- Any MRIs or CTs of your brain, preferably on a CD or film. Reports are good, but CDs are better. If necessary, we can order these items for you.
- All your medication bottles.
- Any lab tests done for cognitive problems. Do not mail or fax them to the clinic.
- Your Caregiver Forms filled out before you arrive. If you forget to bring your forms, you will be provided a copy of the forms to fill out at the clinic.
- Doctor’s notes about memory and cognitive problems.
- If possible, bring someone who knows you well to provide any details that the doctor might request.
About Memory and Cognitive Disorders
- UF Health Neurology - Medical Plaza
- UF Health Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration
- UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital
- UF Health Senior Care
- UF Health Pediatric Specialties - Medical Plaza
- UF Health Rehab Center for Kids – Magnolia Parke
Find a Neurologist
Browse our directory to find UF Health Physicians and other health care providers offering neurological services.