- Adult Psychiatry
- Child Psychiatry
Consistently ranked among the nation's top hospitals for neurosurgery and neurology by U.S. News & World Report, UF Health Shands Hospital provides a technologically advanced environment for the medical and surgical care delivered by University of Florida neurosurgeons. More than 4,000 neurosurgical patients from all over the world are treated here every year.
UF Health Shands Hospital neurosurgical services and the University of Florida department of neurosurgery list a variety of achievements:
- Since 1992, the University of Florida neurosurgeons have performed more than 1,400 epilepsy surgical procedures -- more than any other epilepsy treatment program in Florida.
- The University of Florida Center for Movement Disorders and Neurorestoration is a world leader in the use of deep brain stimulation (DBS) implants for treating movement disorders, performing more DBS procedures annually than any other medical facility in Florida.
- UF Health Shands Hospital developed the Linac Scalpel, which has become one of the most popular commercial radiosurgery systems worldwide.
- UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital has been designated as the State of Florida Brain and Spinal Cord Injury Program.
- UF Health Shands Hospital neurosurgeons and neuroscientists were involved in the first U.S. human clinical trial of spinal cord transplantation.
- UF Health Shands Hospital has the first Neuro Intensive Care Unit in north central Florida.
- The Preston Wells Center for Brain Tumor Therapy at the University of Florida is one of only a handful of places nationwide with the state-of-the-art Laser-Enabled Analysis and Processing (LEAP) system used for cell and tissue analysis.
UF Health Shands Hospital has made a significant investment in capital equipment for neurosurgery:
- Trilogy radiosurgery system
- Biplane fluoro rooms
- O-Arm technology
- Sophisticated endoscopic equipment
- HD video recording system
UF Health Shands Hospital has a Neuro Intensive Care Unit, the first dedicated neuro ICU in North Central Florida. Opened in April 2008, this 30-bed facility expands the ability of the faculty of the department of neurosurgery at UF Health to provide optimal care for patients with brain disease and brain injury. The unit delivers leading-edge technology and highly specialized medical expertise for critically ill neurosurgical and neurological patients.
- This state-of-the-art critical care setting makes available comprehensive patient resources:
- Highly specialized UF physician expertise in the areas of neurosurgery, endovascular neurosurgery, vascular neurology, critical care medicine, epileptology and neuroradiology
- Specialized nursing services with highly trained nurses, nurse practitioners and physician assistants with neurocritical care training and experience
- Specialized ancillary healthvcare providers, including critical care pharmacists, nutritionists, physical and occupational therapists, speech therapists, EEG technicians, respiratory therapists and neuroradiology technicians
- 30 single-bed private patient rooms with full ICU monitoring capabilities, observation windows and secure patient-specific supply cabinets
- Dedicated neuro ICU CT scanner with CT-angiogram and CT-perfusion capabilities
- Fully integrated long-term EEG monitoring capability for every bed
- Brain tumor surgery
- Spine and spinal cord surgery
- Neurovascular surgery
- Epilepsy surgery
- Movement disorder surgery
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Trigeminal neuralgia
UF Health Gainesville Neurosurgery
UF Health Jacksonville Neurosurgery
Find a Neurosurgeon
Browse our directory to find UF Health Physicians and other health care providers offering neurosurgical services.
Visit the Department of Neurosurgery page for more information on physicians, treatments and conditions.