(FORWARD) A Phase 2, Historically Controlled Study Testing the Efficacy of TTFields (Optune®) with Adjuvant Temozolomide in High Risk WHO Grade II and III Astrocytomas
The FORWARD study is a clinical trial at the University of Florida (Coordinating Center) with study sites across the country. These study sites are currently enrolling individuals with newly diagnosed with a high-risk astrocytoma (Grade II & Grade III brain tumor).
The purpose of this research study is to determine if treatment with Optune during maintenance cycles of Temozolomide is effective in the treatment of Grade II or III astrocytoma brain tumor(s).
Some molecular types of Grade II and III astrocytomas can behave like a more aggressive glioblastoma (GBM), and current treatment is suspected to be less effective on these tumors than other Grade II and III astrocytomas.
If you or a loved one may be eligible, continue to learn more about the study on this page or contact the study’s research coordinator Annie Allen:
- (352) 294-8836
The University of Florida in Gainesville is the Coordinating Center for FORWARD. We can assist with locating the site closest to you.
Study site locations include:
- New York
- North Carolina
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
The FORWARD study has specific criteria that must be matched in order to participate. If this does not apply to you, the study team would be happy to share additional clinical trials that you may be eligible for.
For this study, you must meet the following criteria:
- You are 18 years or older
- You have been diagnosed with astrocytoma or mixed oglioastrocytoma.
- You are not more than 6 weeks after completion of chemo-radiation (i.e. you have not yet started adjuvant cycles of chemotherapy).
This study is for patients with a histopathologically-specific tumor type (tumor must exhibit all 3):
- 1p/19q intact per FISH and/or ATRX mutation(s)
- IDH1/2 wildtype
- TERT promoter mutation
For questions about eligibility criteria for the FORWARD study, please contact the study’s research coordinator Annie Allen:
- (352) 294-8836
Interested in other research opportunities? Learn more about our clinical trials here.
- Adjuvant TMZ chemotherapy with precycle bloodwork
- Optune device worn as much as possible
- Periodic MRIs
- Routine clinical appointments for monitoring purposes are required
- Permission to use tumor tissue and MRI images for study
- All patients in this study receive Temozolomide + TTFields; no placebo is used in this trial. Patients will begin treatment following chemoradiation and may continue up to 2 years.
The study team will outline detailed study procedures.
No compensation is offered; the patient is responsible for all deductible and copays associated with (standard) care received during the study.
Study Information Flyer
Can be done from home
KeywordsBrain tumor - primary - adults, Brain Tumors, Brain Tumor, FORWARD
Principal InvestigatorAshley Ghiaseddin, MD
Begin a new search for other research studies
Studies listed on this site have been approved by a UF Institutional Review Board (IRB), which works to ensure the welfare and rights of research participants as required by federal regulations. Study listings are provided by the UF Clinical and Translational Science Institute in collaboration with UF research teams and the UF IRBs.