Stroke: Approach to Care
The UF Health Stroke Program is dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of strokes. Our experts provide the latest technology and medications and care for the stroke patient’s entire needs.
The optimal treatment for ischemic stroke requires 24/7 availability of stroke neurologists and endovascular neurosurgeons. The goal is to take the stroke patient, as rapidly as possible, for diagnostic imaging. Advanced treatments, including intravenous tissue plasminogen activator and-most importantly-intravascular mechanical retrieval of clots from major brain arteries, can lead to previously unachievable patient outcomes.
Surgical intervention for stroke is directed by Brian L. Hoh, M.D., who works with stroke neurologist Michael Waters, M.D. Dr. Hoh provides neurosurgical evaluations of hemorrhagic stroke patients and performs endovascular procedures, including the removal of artery-blocking blood clots, coiling of cerebral aneurysms and carotid artery stenting, as well as open cerebrovascular surgical procedures, such as aneurysm clipping, carotid endarterectomy and removal of arteriovenous malformations. UF treats the third largest number of subarachnoid hemorrhage patients in the country and is the only comprehensive stroke program in north central florida.
Inpatient services include:
- Comprehensive evaluation and treatment of the underlying cause(s) of the stroke, including noninvasive testing of the carotid arteries and intracranial arteries
- In-depth evaluation and treatment of risk factors for stroke, including blood pressure, lipids, diabetes, inflammatory conditions, hypercoagulable states and other factors
- Inpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech and language pathology
Outpatient services focus on:
- Stroke prevention with continued management of risk factors
- Evaluation and care of disabilities caused by prior strokes, including physical and psychological problems
- Outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech and language pathology
Resources from the American Stroke Association
- Stroke Main Page
- Together To End Stroke
- 60 Second F.A.S.T. Body Language PSA
- Let’s Talk About Stroke (PDF)
- Stroke Warning Signs Quiz
- Stroke Connection Magazine
- Watch, Learn and Live: Interactive Cardiovascular Library
- My Like Check
- The Salty Six: Food with Excess Sodium
- Your Guide To Heart Healthy Living
- Heart In-Sight Magazine
Power To End Stroke is an education and awareness campaign that embraces and celebrates the culture, energy, creativity and lifestyles of Americans. It unites people to help make an impact on the high incidence of stroke within their communities.