- Clinical Services
- Adult Congenital Heart Program
- Cardiogenetics Program
- Cardiomyopathy and Heart Failure Clinic
- Fetal Cardiac Program
- Interventional Cardiology
- NonInvasive Imaging Lab
- Pediatric Cardiac MRI/CT Center
- Pediatric Heart and Lung Transplant Program
- Electrophysiology Program and Arrhythmia Care
- Single Ventricle Home Monitoring Program
- Inpatient Services
- Patient & Family Resources
- Quality & Outcomes
Congenital heart defects, or CHDs, are the most common type of all birth defects with an average of 1 in 100 babies being born with the disease. Other times, individuals acquire heart defects into childhood.
Among the known causes of CHD are:
- Genetic factors
- Environmental conditions
- A combination of genetic and environmental factors or multifactorial
Genetic factors may include CHDs associated with single-gene mutations, such as Familial Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Marfan Syndrome. Other genetic conditions are caused by contiguous-gene deletions or additions, where more than one gene may be involved. Another group of heart defects are caused by mitochondrial defects.
In the cardiogenetics clinic, we strive to provide patients and their families more complete clinical care by providing access to specialists in both cardiology and genetics during the assessment. We discuss management, treatment and care issues from a cardiology perspective as well as provide genetic counseling and information about genetic testing.
- UF Health Congenital Heart Center
- UF Health Pediatric Specialties – Halifax Health
- UF Health Pediatric Specialties – Oakhurst
- The Studer Family Children’s Hospital at Sacred Heart
The UF Health Congenital Heart Center provides patients, their families and referring physicians with information about appointments, referrals, clinical services, and clinic locations. Patients can request information by calling us. We are available to speak with you during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., EST.
UF Health Congenital Heart Center
1600 SW Archer Road
P.O. Box 100296
Gainesville, FL. 32610
Toll Free Phone: 866.696.2333