The UF Health Florida Surgical Center is an ambulatory surgical center that provides surgical services to a diverse group of patient from ages 13 and older.
UF Health staff members are committed to providing quality medical care in a fully equipped setting. Our experienced staff offers high-quality, patient-centered care with excellent physical and emotional support to our patients and families at every point of their stay - before, during and after surgery. Our goal is to offer you a safe, convenient, comfortable and less costly alternative to the traditional stay.
Before Surgery Information
To ensure the safest surgical experience possible, we require that all patients undergo a pre-operative evaluation. This can be completed at the UF Health Florida Surgical Center before surgery or several hours prior to your scheduled surgery. This evaluation may include lab tests and an EKG. If you have had lab tests within the past four weeks or an EKG, cardiac catheterization or stress test in the last six to 12 months, you should obtain a copy of the results and bring them with you.
You will also be assessed by an anesthesiologist. Your surgeon’s office staff will schedule a time for your pre-operative evaluation. This process will take approximately one and one half-hours. Additional time may be required depending on the number of tests needed.
Please call (352) 733-0630 between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. one business day prior to your surgery to be notified of your scheduled time of arrival. Please note: If you call after hours, the Message Center will not be able to provide your scheduled time of arrival.
Based on information provided by your surgeon’s office, our financial staff will attempt to contact you prior to your pre-operative visit to make financial arrangements. We will prepare an estimate of your charges and request that you pay for any applicable co-payments or deductibles prior to your surgery. Please bring your insurance cards, picture ID, claim forms and any papers your physician may have instructed you to bring.
- If you require anesthesia and/or sedation for your surgery, you will need to make arrangements in advance to have someone available to drive or escort you home and provide postoperative care for at least 24 hours after surgery. Unfortunately if you arrive for surgery without these plans in place, your procedure will be cancelled.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight unless your surgeon or anesthesiologist instructs you otherwise. If your surgery is scheduled after 1 p.m., consult one of our nurses for specific instructions.
- Do not smoke or drink alcohol after midnight.
- Discuss taking any medications on the day of your surgery with your surgeon or anesthesiologist.
- A parent or legal guardian of minor patients must stay in our facility during the entire procedure.
- Notify your doctor if you develop any signs of illness before the date of your surgery.
- If you wear contacts or glasses, bring a case to put them in.
- If you require a CPAP machine, oxygen or inhaler, please bring it with you.
- Remove all jewelry, nail polish, makeup and other valuables before arriving.
- If you are having surgery on the arm or leg, please wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes that will easily fit over your surgical dressing. Only wear cotton undergarments. A gown will be provided for use while you are at the surgical center.
- If your procedure requires the use of a sling or crutches afterwards, and you already have these items, bring them with you.
- If you are traveling out of the immediate area to go home, bring a pillow and a blanket to make your ride more comfortable.
After Surgery Information
Your surgeon will authorize your discharge from UF Health Florida Surgical Center. Below are some guidelines to follow after your surgery.
- Follow your surgeon's instructions regarding diet, rest and medications.
- Do not drive, operate heavy machinery, make important decisions or sign any important papers for at least 24-hours following a surgical procedure.
- If you have any difficulties after surgery, call your physician’s office.
- A nurse will contact you within 72-hours after surgery to check on your progress.
- If you need help due to a disability, please call (352) 733-0600 or 1(800) 372-7637.
Conditions & Services
- Cutting-edge regional anesthesia for orthopaedic surgries
- Ear, nose and throat
- General orthopaedics
- General surgery
- Pediatric orthopaedics
- Sports orthopaedics
- State-of-the-art image guided techniques
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF Health Florida Surgical Center, please contact 352-733-0600.
Pay your billconsult our billing section.
Shands hospitals and UF Physician practices accept insurance from numerous providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, CIGNA, Humana, Capital Health, United Healthcare, Medicaid, and state and government services. For a full list of accepted plans visit our Insurance / Billing page.
Insurance acceptance varies between physicians and locations and is subject to change. To confirm that a specific physician will accept your insurance, please contact the practice using the telephone numbers listed at the top of the page. A representative will be happy to assist you.
Financial AssistancePatients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.