As a result of the recent Executive Order from the office of the Governor of the State of Florida and out of an abundance of caution and concern for our patients during the current COVID-19 pandemic, we have postponed the scheduling of elective surgeries and procedures until further notice. This helps us minimize the chance of infection for our patients and staff, conserves the use of personal protective equipment and maintains resources for those who might become critically ill in the future. We will resume scheduling elective surgeries and other procedures once the situation improves. Please reach out to your primary health care provider if you have any questions or concerns.
Formerly, pediatric emergency services shared space in the UF Health Critical Care Center, which offers emergency and trauma services at the UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital on the south side of Archer Road. To enhance pediatric care and make better use of existing resources, we have built the Pediatric ER at UF Health Shands Hospital - north campus. This allows us to consolidate all of our pediatric care services in one building.
- More than 12,000 pediatric emergency patients were treated at the UF Health Emergency Room in 2010.
- By co-locating the UF Health pediatric teams in a child-focused environment, we can better serve our young patients and their families.
A new, separate entrance welcomes children and their families into a fun and colorful environment. Inside, a newly renovated kid-friendly space allows for more streamlined pediatric care. The Pediatric ER has:
- 13 private treatment rooms and five observation bays
- Two waiting rooms -- one for sick children and one for well children
- Two exam rooms, specifically designed for children with communicable diseases
- Nurses station with the most technologically advanced equipment specifically designed to treat children and young adults
Access & Design
- A separate entrance to welcome children and their families
- Newly renovated, kid-friendly design with fun and colorful artwork and furniture
- The latest equipment and technology designed for pediatric care
- Energy-saving details (LED lighting and energy-efficient air handler)
- Complimentary 24/7 valet parking.
Service & Providers
- Open 24/7 for patients age 17 and under
- Capacity to treat 24,000 pediatric emergency patients annually
- Care provided by UF College of Medicine pediatric emergency medicine physicians with access to pediatric specialists at UF Health Shands Children's Hospital
- Staffed by UF Health pediatric-trained emergency medicine registered nurses and support staff
- Check-in for both Pediatric ER and Pediatric After Hours
- Open 24/7 for families with emergency patients age 17 and under
- Two separate ER waiting areas "Red Fish" for sick children and "Blue Fish" for well children
- Two private triage rooms
- Family consultation room for private conversations with staff
- Nautical theme design with two oversized saltwater aquariums
- Toys, books and a flat-screen television
- Nautical theme with porthole windows and underwater images
- Flat-screen television and DVD player in each room
- 13 treatment rooms (nine private, two semi-private/double)
- Five observation beds
- Two separate exam rooms for children with infectious diseases
- Two resuscitation rooms
- One conscious-sedation room for casting broken bones and stitching wounds
- Five observation beds with privacy curtains
- Centralized nursing/physician station
- Flat-screen television for each patient
- Private room for radiology imaging (X-rays)
- State-of-the-art, low-dose radiation equipment designed for young patients
- Digital images available in seconds
- We endorse and support the national Image Gently campaign, which helps ensure that radiologists use the lowest dose of radiation necessary to perform interventional procedures on children. (Image Gently was founded by the Society for Pediatric Radiology and the American College of Radiology.)
For more information about the UF Health Shands Children's Hospital, call 352-265-KIDS. To make an appointment at Pediatrics After Hours, call 352-265-0724.
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF Health Pediatric Emergency Room, please contact 352-265-KIDS.
Pay your billconsult our billing section.
Shands hospitals and UF Physician practices accept insurance from numerous providers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida, CIGNA, Humana, Capital Health, United Healthcare, Medicaid, and state and government services. For a full list of accepted plans visit our Insurance / Billing page.
Insurance acceptance varies between physicians and locations and is subject to change. To confirm that a specific physician will accept your insurance, please contact the practice using the telephone numbers listed at the top of the page. A representative will be happy to assist you.
Financial AssistancePatients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.