UF Health Resources
- UF Health Shands Comprehensive Stroke Center – Patient Education Guidebook
- UF Health Shands Comprehensive Stroke Center – Patient Education Guidebook – Spanish
- Brain Rehabilitation Research Center (BRRC)
Stroke Support Groups
- The Life After Stroke Support Group, or LASSG: Meets every Thursday from 3:30 – 5 p.m. at the Alachua County Senior Recreation Center. The Senior Recreation Center is located at 5701 NW 34th Street in Gainesville. This group welcomes anyone who has had a stroke, as well as family, friends and care providers. For more information, call 352-745-3672, email email@example.com or visit www.facebook.com/gvillestroke.
- The UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital Aphasia Book Club: Meets every other Wednesday at 5 p.m. at UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital at 4101 NW 89th Blvd. in Gainesville. The club is free but space is limited. Please contact Kerry Lenius at 265-5491 x70144 if you are interested in attending. Visit the UF Health master calendar for a list of book club dates.
- American Heart Association
- American Stroke Association
- National Stroke Association
- Internet Stroke Center
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- The Brain Attack Coalition
- The American College of Radiology
Home Care After a Stroke
- Eldercare at Home – The Health in Aging Foundation offers an online book for caregivers. This is intended as a supplemental resource guide for at family members providing care in the home. This caregiver’s guide is not stroke specific.
- Aging Parents & Elder Care: This website provides a variety of resources, from advice articles to information about Medicare, and from online sources for home medical supplies and living assistance products to checklists on a variety of topics designed to assist in determining the needs and abilities of your loved one.
- Guide to Choosing a Nursing Home – This booklet is published by the US. Department of Health & Human Services. Topics include how to find and compare nursing homes, how to pay for nursing home care, your nursing home resident rights and where to call for help.
- Find and Compare Nursing Homes – This tool is provided by the official U.S. government website for Medicare. It allows you to search for nursing homes by name, city, county, state or zip code and compare the quality of the nursing homes using Five-Star Quality Ratings, health inspection results, nursing home staff data, fire safety inspection data and other quality measures.
Stroke Education and Resources for Kids:
- Neuroscience For Kids – a website created for older students and teachers who would like to learn about the nervous system. The site provides a number of links to explore, including a page about strokes that presents information at a child friendly level. Portions of the website are available in a variety of languages.
- KidsHealth: Health Problems of Grown-Ups – Stroke – This article, written for kids, deals with what happens during a stroke, how people get better, what to do if somone you love has a stroke and preventing strokes.
- Project K.I.D.S.: Animated Stroke Education for Kids – Watch the interactive, animated presentation, and take a short quiz about strokes. Project K.I.D.S. is funded by the National Institute of Health.
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Stroke is a disease that affects the arteries leading to and within the brain. Created in 1997, the American Stroke Association is dedicated to prevention, diagnosis and treatment to save lives from stroke — America’s No. 4 killer and a leading cause of serious disability. American Stroke Association funds scientific research, helps people better understand and avoid stroke, encourages government support, guides healthcare professionals and provides information to enhance the quality of life for stroke survivors. To learn more, call 1-888-4-STROKE, or browse strokeassociation.org.
Please see the list of free resources available from the American Stroke Association
- American Heart Association/ American Stroke Association Main Page
- Together To End Stroke
- Stroke Warning Signs & Symptoms
- 60 Second F.A.S.T. Body Language PSA
- Power To End Stroke
- Let’s Talk About Stroke
- Stroke Warning Signs Quiz
- Stroke Connection Magazine
- Watch, Learn and Live
- My Like Check
- The Salty Six
- Heart In-Sight Magazine
- Printable Blood Pressure Tracker
- Brian L HohSpecialty: Neurosurgery
- Anna Yuzefovich KhannaSpecialty: Neurology
- Christopher FoxSpecialty: Neurosurgery
- Nandakumar NagarajaSpecialty: Neurology
- Adam PolifkaSpecialty: Neurosurgery
- Christina WilsonSpecialty: Neurology