- Coming to UF Health
- While You're Here
- For Patients
- Going Home
UF Health Shands Hospital Patient Guide: Admissions
COVID-19 testing is required for hospital admissions and procedures. These measures help to protect our patients and caregivers from COVID-19.
Finding out that you or a loved one has to stay overnight in the hospital can be very difficult emotionally. You probably have many questions about what comes next. We hope the information we provide here will help ease your feelings of uncertainty and tell you what you need to know.
If you are a new patient or a return patient with a registration date greater than 90 days, the Outpatient Registration staff must register you and will make every effort to contact you by telephone prior to your appointment date. Once you have registered, you are ready to begin the admissions process.
The admissions department at UF Health Shands Hospital (north campus) is on the first floor between the Atrium and east entrances and is open from 7 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. At UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital (south campus), the admissions office is off the lobby and is open from 5:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you have any questions about pre-admission, admission, precertification or insurance please call 352-265-0236.
Talk with your doctor about any special steps you might need to take before you are admitted or before you have surgery. Please follow all your physician’s instructions or your surgery may have to be canceled.
In some cases, you may be admitted to the hospital from the Emergency Room (E.R.) and may not be able to make arrangements ahead of time. If this happens, keep in mind that:
- It may take some time before you can be moved out of the E.R. to a bed on one of the inpatient units.
- Our admitting staff will locate a bed in the most appropriate unit for you.
- E.R. doctors will communicate with the admitting doctors and specialists to ensure good transition of care from the E.R. to the hospital. The E.R. nursing team also will provide a report to the nursing team who will be taking care of you once you move to your room.
We have policies and procedures in place to help you and your family work with the doctors, nurses and staff to get the most from your hospital stay. Please take a few minutes to review these guidelines with your loved ones.
- To help your admissions process go more quickly and smoothly, please review what to bring to the hospital and to review instructions of how to prepare for surgery.
- While You're Here: Learn about the hospital, visiting hours, dining options, and amenities available to patients and their families.
- Information for Patients: Learn about patient issues such as safety, satisfaction, privacy, and information on Advance Directives.
Where is Admissions?
UF Health Shands Hospital
UF Health Shands Hospital (north campus) admissions is on the first floor between the Atrium and east entrances and is open from 7 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week.
UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
UF Health Shands Cancer admissions office is off the lobby and is open from 5:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Other Admissions Office
If you have any questions about pre-admission, admission, precertification or insurance please call 352-265-0236.