- Coming to UF Health
- While You're Here
- For Patients
- Going Home
Patients are admitted to the hospital by one of three ways. One is to be admitted through the Emergency Department. Secondly, you may also be admitted directly by a house staff physician. And finally, you may be admitted to the hospital as a transfer patient from another facility.
If you are a new patient or a return patient with a registration date greater than 90 days, the Outpatient Registration staff must register you and will make every effort to contact you by telephone prior to your appointment date. Once you have registered, you are ready to begin the admissions process.
UF Health Shands Hospital Registration is located on the first floor of the hospital west of the atrium (across from the pharmacy) and is open from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To register, you will need your
- Insurance card
- Physician name
- Medical service for which you will be treated
- Patient ID card if you are an existing patient
You can register by phone or download a pre-registration form.
Admissions at UF Health Shands Hospital
- If your admission to UF Health Shands Hospital is scheduled in advance, you will need to complete a pre-admission interview. If you have not talked to an admissions financial representative and your admission is scheduled within 72 hours, please call the Admissions Department at 352-265-0477 to ensure the arrangements for your stay are complete.
- If your admission is planned for more than one week from today, you can fill out the pre-admission form (PDF). An admissions financial representative will explain the hospital billing procedures and assist you with financial arrangements for hospital charges.
- Transfer patients to Shands at UF should fill out a certification and authorization (PDF) form. Sign and fax the form to the Transfer Center at 352-265-0269 before you are transferred.
- For specifics concerning your "new patient appointment" with a physician at Shands, you should contact that particular doctor's office prior to your first visit. That office will inform you as to what to bring, when to arrive and what will be required of you on your first visit.
Admissions After Midnight
From midnight to 7 a.m., the Emergency Department, located at the UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital, handles all admissions. For information during this time-frame, please call the main number at 352-733-0800.
We have policies and procedures in place to help you and your family work with the doctors, nurses and staff to get the most from your hospital stay. Please take a few minutes to review these guidelines with your loved ones.
- To help your admissions process go more quickly and smoothly, please review what to bring to the hospital and to review instuctions of how to prepare for surgery
- While You're Here: Learn about the hospital, visiting hours, dining options, and amenities available to patients and their families
- Information for Patients: Learn about patient issues such as safety, satisfaction, privacy, and information on Advance Directives
Where is Admissions?
Each hospital has an Admissions Department.
UF Health Shands Hospital
The Admissions Department is located on the first floor of UF Health Shands Hospital between the Atrium and East entrances.
The Admissions office is open from 7 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week. Questions about admission, pre-admission, pre-certification or insurance are handled by the Admissions Department at 352-265-0477 or extension 5-0236.
UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
The Admissions Department for patients admitted to the UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital is located in the foyer of the South Campus.
Other Admissions Office
For more information about Admissions at UF Health Shands Hospital, please call 352-265-0477.