- Coming to UF Health
- While You're Here
- For Patients
- Going Home
Support Groups & Classes
The goal of this group is to build a community of amputees who can support one another, learn from each other, and share stories and tips. Meets on the first Tuesday of every month from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital.
- Meets every even month of the 4th Thursday at 6:15 p.m ad the UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital.
Meets the third Thursday of every month at 10 a.m. in the UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital patient dining room. This group welcomes anyone who has had a stroke, as well as family, friends and care providers.
Meets every Thursday from 4 p.m.- 5:30 p.m. at Santa Fe’s downtown Blount Center. The group welcomes anyone who has had a stroke, as well as family and friends of those who have had a stroke. The purpose of the group is to provide an informal, confidential space for members to share experiences, support and information. Meetings feature monthly speakers and occasional outings. The group is sponsored through the UF Department of Communicative Disorders. For more information contact Dr. Lisa Edmonds at 352-273-3728.
Meetings every other Wednesday at 5 p.m. at UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital. This support group is open to the public.
We know that cancer can be more than a physical disease as it touches the deepest fears of patients and their families. For this reason, we provide information to lessen the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis. We encourage you to accept help when offered and to reach out for the support you need. Each individual will have different needs. What is meaningful to one person may be meaningless to another. We do know that it is helpful to discuss your concerns – whether it is to a friend, family member or spiritual advisor; in a support group of people going through a similar situation; or to yourself through a journal. Find the method that works best for you.
NICU Support Group - Sponsored by the March of Dimes
This support group meets three times per week:
- Mondays and Wednesdays – support group 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.: Members may participate in a variety of activies, including scrapbooking, making the babies hats and making jewelry. All supplies are provided by March of Dimes.
- Tuesdays @ lunch – 11:30-12:30: Lunch provided by Domino’s pizza, fruit, veggies and dessert.
- All families currently in the NICU or have been in the NICU are weclcome to attend. You and your family don't have to have a child currently in the NICU.
- Location: Conference room by the NICU (room 3321); Free parking for patients; $10 parking in the UF Health Shands Hospital parking garage on Newell Drive.
- Contact Judy Angley with neonatology and March of Dimes at 352-273-8976 for more information.
Students with Diabetes at the University of Florida
The UF Chapter of Students with Diabetes wants to simplify life with diabetes by giving you the knowledge and tools you’ll need to succeed and help you build connections with others.
Diabetes Public Support Group
- This support group meets every 3 months at the Health Department in East Gainesville.
- Please contact Roberta Cook at 352-334-0865 for more information on dates and times.
Title Town Type 1 Online Support Group
If you live in Gainesville or the surrounding areas and have type 1 diabetes, are the parent, spouse, or loved one of a person with type 1 diabetes, consider joining the Title Town Type 1 Online Support Group. The group’s founder calls it “a sweet spot for people with type 1 diabetes and their families to get connected and share experiences.”
- The group is currently meeting online, but there may be opportunities to meet “live” in the near future.
- You will need to sign up for Google Groups to become a member.
Adult Lung Transplant Support Group
- This weekly support group is facilitated by Shands Transplant Center social worker, Micki Luck and co-facilitated by a transplant coordinator.
- The group is open to patients with advanced lung disease, listed patients awaiting transplant and transplanted patients, as well as caregivers. We do require that our patients undergoing transplant evaluation testing attend support group the week they are here.
- The group meets in the UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital on the 5th floor in the conference room nearest to 5 east. It begins at 3:45 p.m. until 4:45 to 5pm on every Wednesday.
Liver Support Group
- The Shands Transplant Center Liver Transplant Program founded a support group that provides education and psychosocial support for patients who have liver disease and are awaiting liver transplants and who have been transplanted.
- You may refer your patients to the Liver Transplant Program at (352) 265-0754 for the next scheduled meeting of the support group.
Support group meetings are offered once a month and designed to assist in the lifetime journey of post-surgery weight loss. Each meeting will offer an educational topic followed by an opportunity for patients to share their success and pitfalls with fellow attendees.
Who is welcome to attend our bariatric support groups:
- Weight-loss surgery investigators seeking information and the “real-story”
- Pre-op patients waiting for weight loss surgery
- Early post-op patients or “newbies”
- Long-term veteran patients to support others and just checking in
- Back on trackers seeking to re-lose pounds
- Friends or family members
- Professionals-medical or other
As part of its commitment to patient care and its social mission tot he community, UF Health provides numerous education and health classes to the public, on topics such as breastfeeding, childbirth, newborn care, and smoking cessation.