For patients who have been diagnosed with cancer, discussing treatment options with his or her physician may bring more question than answers, such as how cancer treatment will effect fertility and what options are available to preserve fertility.
UF Health reproductive endocrinologists and infertility specialists evaluate and treat female and male cancer patients for fertility issues and fertility preservation. Infertility may be caused directly by a cancer of the reproductive system or indirectly by treatment for cancer elsewhere in the body. We offer several clinical and research options for men and women with cancer who face potential loss of fertility from chemotherapy and radiation therapy, including treatments available only through clinical trials.
Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
Our specialized physicians participate in cancer multidisciplinary treatment teams so that fertility experts can be an integral part of evaluation and treatment.
Our program provides:
- Fellowship trained, board-certified/board eligible physicians in female reproductive endocrinology and infertility
- Fellowship trained, board-certified male infertility and microsurgery specialist
- Board-certified embryologist/andrologist
- In vitro fertilization nurse coordinator
- Reproductive endocrinology and infertility nurse coordinator
- Advanced nurse practitioner for clinical research trials
- Nursing coordinator for clinical research trials
- In vitro fertilization laboratory
Comprehensive Patient Care
As a member of the Oncofertility Consortium, the division is part of a nationwide initiative dedicated to the advancement of technologies that will provide improved fertility preservation options for cancer patients.
Fertility preservation options include the following:
- Sperm banking
- Emergency in vitro fertilization (IVF)
- Egg freezing
- Ovarian tissue freezing with transplantation or IVF
- Hormonal therapies
- Repositioning of ovaries
- Donor eggs
- Donor sperm
- Emergency testicular sperm extraction (PESA or TESE)
- Electroejaculation or vibratory ejaculation
Fertility Preservation Resources
- Fertility Preservation Slides by Dr. Alice Rhoton-Vlasak
- Options & Discussion Points for Women
- Options & Discussion Points for Men
Cancer Care Providers
Browse our directory to find UF physicians and other health care providers offering cancer care services.