- Children's Services
- Women's Services
Early and regular care is essential to ensure a healthy pregnancy.
With women's health services at UF Health Physicians locations, women receive a comprehensive consultation, evaluation and clinical management in the event that pregnancies are complicated by medical illnesses, fetal anomalies or other situations. UF Health Physicians women's health services offer advanced prenatal testing and access to both counseling and genetic testing specialists.
Sensitive, state-of-the-art prenatal care and childbirth
- We provide individualized care in partnership with the woman and her family to ensure the most successful and personal outcome.
Skilled professionals providing mother and baby care
- A team of physicians and skilled staff are available to provide care for both routine and emergency conditions.
The teaching hospital advantage
Care is given at a variety of locations of Shands. Delivery is at UF Health Shands Hospital, which is proud to be a teaching hospital. Medical knowledge changes rapidly, and we are dedicated to providing the most up to date, evidence-based knowledge. This is facilitated by having a team of attending physicians, fellows, residents and students, rather than only one individual, provide care by the level of knowledge and skill appropriate for a problem.
Immediate expert care for unexpected complications
- Four obstetric and gynecologic professionals are available in the hospital 24 hours a day, seven days a week to answer questions and care for any unexpected problems.
- 24 hour anesthesiology coverage: An anesthesiologist is also present in the labor and delivery unit at all times and does not have to be called in to provide a labor epidural or help with an emergency cesarean.
Routine obstetric ultrasound
We believe all pregnant women should have the benefit of an ultrasound examination. Because of the specialized training and experience of our physicians and sonographers , we are expert in spotting problems with a pregnancy. We are happy to record your exam for you (bring a DVD + R or DVD + RW disk).
- Many genetic problems can occur in women with no risk factors. For this reason, we provide the full range of genetic screening tests for low- and high-risk women.
Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are obstetricians who have extra training and experience in high-risk pregnancy conditions. All of the physicians in our division are board certified in both general obstetrics and gynecology and maternal-fetal medicine. We provide direct care and consultation for patients with high risk pregnancy conditions at several sites throughout north central Florida. We also provide special services, such as comprehensive obstetric ultrasound scans, prenatal genetic testing and diabetes care.
We diagnose and treat these and other conditions using proven methods. Since we teach residents and students as well as care for patients, we stay up-to-date on the latest medical research.
Problems with Previous Pregnancies
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Incompetent cervix
- Premature labor
- Premature rupture of membranes
- Birth defects in a prior pregnancy
- Multiple cesareans
- Bleeding problems
- DVT and pulmonary embolus
Medical Conditions in Pregnancy
- High Blood pressure
- Heart & lung conditions in the mother
- Hyperemesis (excessive nausea and vomiting in pregnancy)
- Thyroid problems
- Connective tissue disorders (such as lupus)
- Kidney problems
- Nervous system disorders
Other High Risk Conditions
- Increased maternal age
- Twins and triplets
- Post-dates pregnancy
- Growth and amniotic fluid problems
- Placenta problems/ bleeding in pregnancy
- Birth defects
- Rh disease
- Uterine malformations
UF Health Physicians women's health services have a team of University of Florida prenatal diagnosis specialists who can offer you a new perspective if you are expecting a baby with a known or suspected birth defect.
They provide you with comprehensive services that include:
Pregnancy Care Locations
- Family Medicine at Fourth Avenue
- Women's Health at Magnolia Parke
- Family Medicine at Haile Plantation
- Women's Health at Shands Medical Plaza
Pregnancy Care Providers
Browse our directory to find UF Health Physicians and other health care providers offering pregnancy care services.