Intrabeam Radiation Delivery System
Intraoperative Radiation Therapy for Breast Cancer
The Intrabeam radiation treatment system is a mobile irradiation device used in the operating room to deliver precise doses of radiation directly to the breast tumor site during the surgical removal of the tumor. Using the Intrabeam system, radiation therapy can be delivered at the same time as breast cancer surgery, bypassing much time and associated issues of traditional radiation therapy.
The Intrabeam system converts electricity into low energy X-rays and delivers radiation treatment through a rod with a spherical tip, which is placed in the cavity left in the breast tissue immediately following surgical removal of the tumor. The tumor bed is then irradiated for a period of 20 to 30 minutes while the patient is under general anesthesia.
A tremendous benefit of Intrabeam irradiation for patients is that it reduces or even eliminates the need for weeks of external radiation treatment following surgery for early stage breast cancers. Traditional radiation therapy for breast cancer that typically requires three to six weeks of treatments can be accomplished in 20 to 25 minutes using the Intrabeam treatment system during the surgery of select patients.
The Intrabeam radiation treatment system for breast cancer is available in less than one dozen treatment facilities nationwide, and the UF Health Breast Center is the first and only program in the state of Florida to utilize this technology.
For more information about Intrabeam radiation therapy for breast cancer, visit http://www.zeiss.com/meditec/en_us/products/oncology.html.
For more information about the University of Florida Breast Center or to schedule a new patient appointment, please call 352-265-7070.
Visit our Make a Gift page to see how you can help combat cancer.
Make an Appointment
Schedule an appointment with one of our specialty multi-disciplinary teams by calling the following numbers:
- Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer Center
- Preston A. Wells, Jr., Center for Brain Tumor Therapy
- UF Health Breast Center
- Pediatric Cancer Center
- GI Cancer Center
- Urologic Cancer Center
- Gynecologic Cancer Center
- Head and Neck Cancer Center
- Lung Cancer Center
- Adult Medical Oncology
- Skin Cancer and Melanoma Center
- UF Health Hematology/Oncology - Davis Cancer Pavilion
- UF Health Radiation Oncology - Davis Cancer Pavilion
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
- UF Health Shands Children's Hospital
- UF Health Shands Hospital
- UF Health Jacksonville Cancer Center
- UF Health Proton Therapy Insititute
Support and Resources
Find a Cancer Doctor
Browse our directory to find UF physicians and other health care providers offering cancer care services.
- UF physician, colleagues identify successful blood cancer therapy
- Targeting tumors may help stop spread of breast, other cancers
- $10 million Wells Foundation gift will enable UF to speed brain tumor remedies
- UF&Shands Park Avenue Imaging Center receives excellence accreditation
- UF, Moffitt researchers find blood cancer may be more common than realized