Volunteering at an academic medical center allows you to interact with visitors, patients and staff associated with one of the Southeast's premier health care systems.
Volunteers give thousands of hours each year to UF Health Shands Hospital to enhance the care of our patients and their families. They provide support throughout the hospital, including staffing the information desk, delivering mail and flowers, operating the gift shop and escorting patients.
Volunteer Services at UF Health Shands Hospital contributes to the support of patient services by providing volunteers who assist patients, visitors and staff within UF Health Shands Hospital and associated facilities through the Volunteers, VolunTeen, Pet Visitation and Shands Auxiliary programs. The key emphasis of the volunteer program is to enhance customer service and to be a "helping hand" resource. If you wish to volunteer, call Volunteer Services at 352-265-0360.
The 2014 VolunTEEN Summer Program is now closed. Please check back March 2015 for information on the 2015 VolunTEEN Summer Program.
Benefits of Volunteering
UF Health Shands Hospitals values the time and energy our volunteers give graciously each day.
Benefits of volunteering with UF Health Shands Hospitals include the following:
- Making a postive impact on your community
- Making a difference in someone's life
- Gaining work and life experiences
- Meeting new friends and forming lasting relationships
- Building self-esteem and self-confidence
- Experiencing diversity
- Exploring career opportunities
- Broadening skill sets and knowledge
Specific benefits for our adult volunteers include:
- Meal voucher for each four-hour shift worked
- Free flu shots
- Opportunities to attend volunteer educational meetings and luncheons