Pet Therapy teams commit to volunteering on a consistent day and time each week for a minimum of six months. Teams visit primarily with patients and their families/visitors on inpatient units, with limited opportunities in other areas.
If you would like to volunteer to participate in the pet therapy program, please complete the following steps:
- Ensure that your dog is registered as a therapy dog with a national organization. These include:
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs
- Pet Partners (formerly Delta)
- Therapy Dogs International
- GRRMF Hearts of Gold Therapy Team - Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid Florida
- If your dog is registered with another therapy dog organization, please contact our office to see if we will accept that registration.
- Complete the Pet Therapy volunteer application.
- Complete the volunteer requirements.
- Review the Pet Therapy handbook
Contact our office at 352.265.0360 between 8:00-4:30pm Monday – Friday to schedule an interview. Pet therapy volunteers will be shadowed in the hospital setting twice prior to volunteering independently.