Pet therapy teams commit to volunteering on a consistent day and time each week for a minimum of six months. Teams visit primarily with patients and their families/visitors on inpatient units, with limited opportunities in other areas.
If you would like to volunteer to participate in the pet therapy program, please complete the following steps:
- Ensure your dog is registered as a therapy dog with a national organization. These include:
- Alliance of Therapy Dogs
- Pet Partners (formerly Delta)
- Therapy Dogs International
- GRRMF Hearts of Gold Therapy Team - Golden Retriever Rescue of Mid Florida
- If your dog is registered with another therapy dog organization, please contact our office to see if we will accept that registration.
- Complete the Pet therapy volunteer application.
- Complete the volunteer requirements.
- Review the pet therapy handbook
Contact our office at (352) 265-0360 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to schedule an interview. Pet therapy volunteers will be shadowed in the hospital setting twice prior to volunteering independently.