The primary purpose of UF Health Shands Auxiliary is to assist the hospital staff of UF Health Shands Hospital in rendering comfort, aid, and friendly understanding to patients. We work to be goodwill ambassadors to the community at large. All volunteer services are performed with the advice and consent of the hospital's administration.
Our mission as a compassionate and caring group working without prejudice or pride is to enhance and support the mission of UF Health Shands Hospital in the following ways:
- Providing appropriate services
- Acting as effective ambassadors
- Implementing appropriate fundraising
After the opening of the UF Health Shands Hospital in 1958, the Medical Guild recognized that there were areas outside medical care in which patients needed attention and concern. A service committee formed to bring comfort to the patients. The committee was so successful that additional personnel were needed, and a call went out to women in the community. The work of the committee extended.
Later, an Auxiliary formed to carry on and extend the contributions of the volunteer group. On February 28, 1961, the first meeting was held for interested people and the UF Hospital Auxiliary became a member of the American Hospital Association and the Association of Florida Hospital Auxiliaries.
Through dedicated work, ready and full cooperation by the Hospital Administration, perseverance and a spirit of enthusiastic "togetherness," the Auxiliary forged ahead and grew in strength and service.
Since that beginning, the upward path of the Auxiliary grew stronger each year under hard-working, level-headed leadership. Requests for extended service by the administration have been met as physical and financial resources have been made available.
The name of the Auxiliary was changed in 1966, 1983 and 2000 to conform with the changes in the name of the hospital. It is now known as UF Health Shands Hospital Auxiliary.