Lips - chapped and dry
Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure.
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick.
- Try to keep the air in your home humid.
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather.
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months.
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline).
See your health care provider if you have sores that will not heal on your lips.
Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 5.
Habif TP. Warts, herpes simplex, and other viral infections. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 12.
James WD, Berger TG, Elston DM. Cutaneous signs and diagnosis. In: James WD, Berger TG, Elston DM, eds. Andrews' Diseases of the Skin: Clinical Dermatology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2016:chap 2.