- Parents Corner
- Kids Corner
- Ways to Help Child Life
- Child's Life Special Event
The Child Life Program was established to help children and families cope with the stress and anxiety of hospitalization. Child Life Specialists at UF Health Shands Children's Hospital are certified non-medical professionals who understand child development and provide interventions in an environment that will support normal growth and development.
Some interventions may include:
- Help normalize the hospital environment and make it more positive
- Provide preparation and procedure support for children undergoing medical tests
- Allow patients opportunities to experience control, success, and self-expression through age-appropriate activities and therapeutic play
- Provide medical play to allow children to rehearse, role play, and establish coping skills
Child Life Specialists
At UF Health Shands Children's Hospital, Child Life specialists:
- Help make the hospital experience more positive
- Support children undergoing medical procedures & treatments
- Provide age appropriate individual and group recreational, educational, and therapeutic programs for pediatric patients
- Assist patients with understanding and coping with medical procedures and surgery
- Provide patients with time to talk about their feelings and ideas through dialogue, creative activities, and therapeutic play
- Allow patients opportunities to experience control, success, creativity, and self-expression
- Promote positive physical, social, and emotional development
- Provide support and education to help family members cope with their concerns
For more information about the Child Life Program at UF Health Shands Children's Hospital, call 352-265-0111 ext. 46470.
Pediatric Specialty Clinic
Child Life Services are available for patients at the UF Physicians Pediatric Specialties at Medical Plaza. The Child Life Specialist is available to orient patients to the clinic and provide preparation and support during IV placements, blood draws, or any other invasive procedure.
Patients or families that would like Child Life services in the clinic can make a request during their appointment or can call 352-265-8250.
- Volunteers are available in the waiting area to provide activities for the patients as they wait for their doctor appointments.
- College-aged students interested in volunteering at the pediatric clinic can contact Volunteer Services at 352-265-0360.
Camp Boggy Creek is a multi-disease therapeutic camp program that provides medically-supervised, recreational activities for children ages seven to 16 who have chronic or life-threatening illnesses. For additional information and camp schedules, visit http://www.boggycreek.org.