- Pediatric Transplant
UF Health Shands Hospital ranked one of the nation's and region's top hospitals for
pulmonology by U.S. News & World Report.
If you or a loved needs a lung transplant, it’s comforting to know that the caring experts at University of Florida Shands Transplant Center are ready to support you through the journey. Our team has more than 20 years’ experience in advanced lung transplantation techniques. We focus on your unique needs, providing advanced medical treatments with expertise and compassion.
Our lung transplant program started in 1994. Since the program began, our physicians have successfully performed more than 900 lung transplants, most recently performing 104 transplants in Fiscal Year 2020 — more than any other transplant center in the state of Florida, according to data from the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS).
The UF Health difference
As a patient of UF Health Shands Transplant Center, you benefit from our three key features: experience, expertise and excellence.
- Experience. Our center is home to the first adult, first pediatric and first heart-lung transplants in Florida. The UF Health Shands Transplant Center also performed the first re-transplant (a second lung transplant in the same patient) in the state and the first transplant for ventilator-dependent patients.
- Expertise. Our doctors are experts in innovative treatments, such as ex vivo lung perfusion (XVIVO) and extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) (See references below). Our team also serves as a regional resource for lung transplant to physicians and other health care providers.
- Excellence. The UF Health Lung Transplant Program has an average wait list time of three months, which compares favorably to the state average of six months. Our one-year survival rate of 98.56% exceeds the national average of 89.07%, according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR), making us one of the top programs in the U.S. Moreover, UF Health has the lowest adult waitlist mortality rate among all lung transplant programs in the state. This means that choosing UF Health for your lung transplant gives you a better overall outcome: 1) shorter wait time, 2) high likelihood of surviving after transplant and 3) lowest likelihood of dying while waiting for new lungs.
Lung transplant services
We offer lung transplantation services for children and adults.
Our services include:
- Ex vivo lung perfusion (EVLP): This procedure reconditions donor lungs initially considered not ideal for transplant. Therefore, EVLP expands the pool of donor lungs, allowing more lives to be saved and shortening the length of time you may have to wait for a lung.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO): As a bridge to or recovery after transplant, our physicians are highly experienced with using the ECMO device to take over the lungs’ responsibility of breathing while awaiting a donor lung or for the recently transplanted lung to recover.
View our program outcomes from the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) website, as last reported in July 2021.
View an infographic showing how the UF Health Lung Transplant Center compares to other national centers.
Hear from one of our patients
Patient Information - Lung Transplants at UF Health
- Lung Transplant Program User Guide
- The Evaluation Process
- The First Visit
- Care After Your Transplant
- Patient statistics and outcomes
To learn more about our lung transplant services, contact 352.265.8940.
Contact us at 1-352-265-8940
Or, scroll to the bottom of the sidebar to fill out our form below for more information.
UF Health is contracted with most transplant networks. Check with your employer or insurer for more information about accessing UF Health for transplant services or our call financial representative Andrea Wheeler at 352.594.6953 with any questions. View a list of accepted insurance at UF Health.
Today, more than 5,000 patients listed at Florida transplant centers await life-saving organ transplants. You have the power to Donate Life. Sign up to become and organ donor!