Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery is a surgical specialty which involves the diagnosis and treatment of diseases, injuries, and defects involving both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the head and neck region. The scope of the specialty is very broad, ranging from the extraction of teeth to the treatment of complex facial fractures.
The five faculty members of the Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Florida are all board-certified by the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and are known nationally and internationally as leaders in their field. In addition to providing excellent patient care, they are established researchers, teachers, and national and international orators. They also share the responsibility for teaching graduate students (residents) in the six- year residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. The surgeons are on staff at UF Health Shands Hospital.
Faculty/Resident Oral Surgery Clinic
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Faculty and Resident Clinic is located on the first floor of the College of Dentistry at the west entrance of the UF Health Science Center. An appointment for a consultation/evaluation with a faculty member or resident may be obtained after a referral has been made for you. If you desire to change your appointment please call 352-273-6731.
Oral surgery is a referral clinic and should receive those referrals by fax at 352-392-6909 to the attention of the Receptionist.
The clinic is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment for a diagnosis and outpatient treatment, using local anesthesia, conscious sedation or general anesthesia. Complex cases may require surgical treatment in the operating room at UF Health Shands Hospital. Our office staff is very experienced and attentive to the needs of our patients.
The services provided include the full scope of the specialty, including but not limited to:
- Nerve Repair - Micro neurosurgery
- Removal of diseased or impacted teeth
- Dental Implants to replace missing teeth and for more complex cases, reconstructing deficient bone to support the implants
- Treatment of facial fractures and soft tissue injuries of the head and neck secondary to trauma
- Diagnosis and treatment of benign or malignant cysts and tumors of the oral and maxillofacial region
- Diagnosis and treatment of infections of the head and neck region to include infection of the teeth, the salivary glands, and the upper and lower jaw
- Reconstruction and cosmetic surgery to correct facial bones deformities and facial soft tissue problems as a result of previous trauma, developmental, or secondary to the removal of head and neck pathology
- Diagnosis and treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders
- Diagnosis and correction of Dentofacial Deformities (Bite) and other Developmental Defects. In conjunction with the orthodontist, the oral and maxillofacial surgeon surgically realigns the upper and lower jaw into proper dental and facial relationships to improve function and facial appearance. Individuals with developmental defects, such as cleft lip and palate are also treated for improved function and appearance.
Reduced-Fee Dental Care
UF College of Dentistry students and faculty participate in programs such as the We Care Physicians Network (352-334-7926).Such programs provide limited services for qualified individuals that may be reduced in fees.
Conditions & Services
- Cosmetic dental surgery
- Dental implants
- Dentofacial deformities
- Diagnostic Pathology
- Facial fracture
- Impacted tooth
- Micro neurosurgery
- Nerve Repair
- Oral Biopsy
- Oral Cytology
- Oral Medicine
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Oral cysts
- Oral tumors
- TMJ disorders
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF Health Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, please contact 352–273-6731.
Pay your bill
Please have your billing statement along with your debit / credit card or bank account information. Your account number is located in the top righthand corner of your statement.
Gainesville and Naples Dental Centers
We accept Aetna PPO, Eagles Direct, Guardian, Sunlife and United Concordia insurance plans. If you have a different dental insurance, payment is required at the time of service. However, we can assist you in filing for reimbursement from your insurance company by providing a dental claim form.
Hialeah and St. Petersburg Dental Centers
We accept Aetna PPO, Delta Dental, Guardian, Sunlife and United Concordia insurance plans. If you have a different dental insurance, payment is required at the time of service. However, we can assist you in filing for reimbursement from your insurance company by providing a dental claim form.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.