The Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine is dedicated to providing high value care to children and their families throughout the course of their hospitalization.
Pediatric hospitalists or pediatric hospital medicine faculty are pediatricians whose time and expertise is specifically devoted to caring for hospitalized children admitted to UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital.. These hospitalists have a special interest in the diagnostic challenges of general pediatrics, including:
- Multi-system diseases
- Complex single-system problems
- Basic pediatric problems
Our pediatric hospitalists are dedicated to providing the safest and best possible care to the children who need it most by serving as physician leaders to ensure outstanding patient care, reliable patient safety, and health equity for every child.
Our doctors also have years of clinical experience in diagnosing and managing a wide variety of the most complex pediatric medical conditions and providing family centered care. Many are board certified in pediatric hospital medicine.
Your pediatric hospitalist is available during working hours, and the on-call hospitalist is available after hours and can be reached with the assistance of your nurse or pediatric resident.
Patient and family care
In addition to providing medical care, a hospitalist’s job is to communicate and coordinate with each child’s family, primary care provider and other specialists involved in delivering clinical care. Hospitalists help maintain continuity of care between hospital and outpatient settings Some of the ways hospitalists do this are:
- Providing a smooth transition between your referring physician’s office with the help of inpatient care coordinators and UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital
- Relaying timely, important information to your child’s primary care physician during a hospital stay and at discharge
- Conducting patient and family-centered rounds with joint decision-making on a daily basis
- Utilizing in-house knowledge of hospital policies and routines
- Creating a partnership between your primary care doctor and UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital to ensure your child receives the absolute best care
- Enlisting the help of inpatient care coordinators