- Pediatric Heart
- Pediatric Lung
If you or a loved need a heart transplant, it’s reassuring to know that caring experts are ready to support you through the journey.
The team at University of Florida Health Shands Transplant Center has more than 30 years’ experience in advanced heart failure therapies and heart transplantation techniques. We focus on the unique needs of each patient, providing advanced medical treatments with sensitivity and concern.
UF Health difference
As a patient of UF Health Shands Transplant Center, you benefit from our three key features: experience, expertise and excellence.
- Experience. The cardiovascular surgeons at the UF Health Shands Transplant Center performed their first heart transplant in 1985. Since then, the collaborative heart transplant team has performed more than 1,100 heart transplants.
- Expertise. Our doctors conduct research and clinical trials to develop advanced heart transplant techniques that are not offered anywhere else. Our team is also a regional resource to physicians and other health care providers.
- Excellence. Our transplant program — led by cardiothoracic surgeon Thomas Beaver, MD, MPH, and transplant cardiologist Juan Aranda, MD — consistently meets or exceeds the expected one-year patient survival by national standards. This means that, by choosing UF Health for your heart transplant, you are more likely to have a good outcome one year post-surgery than if you chose many other facilities.
Heart transplant services
We offer heart transplantation services for children and adults. Our services include:
- Heart Failure. This program focuses on the treatment of patients with congestive heart failure.
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD) Program. Led by Mustafa M. Ahmed, MD, this program uses state-of-the-art devices to assist the heart when waiting for transplantation or as a permanent solution. We are a Joint Commission Disease Specific certified VAD center .
- Heart transplant. This program combines the expertise of cardiothoracic surgeons and cardiologists to perform the transplant and to care for patients long after.
- View our program outcomes on the SRTR website, as last reported in July 2017.
- To learn more about our heart transplant services, contact 352.265.0751.
Transplant Programs & Practices
Browse our locations directory for practices related to pre- and post-transplant medicine.
Browse our directory to find UF Health Physicians and other health care providers offering pre- and post-transplant care.
You can make a gift to help enhance the care of transplant patients.
This Web site gives you the opportunity to join Florida’s organ, tissue and eye donor registry by signing up online.