Awards & Recognition
ANCC Magnet Designation
Since 2003, several UF Health hospitals and programs have earned “Magnet” designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center : UF Health Shands Hospital, including UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital, UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital and UF Health Shands HomeCare; UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital; UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital; UF Health Florida Surgical Center; UF Health Children’s Surgical Center; UF Health Endoscopy Center; and UF Health Dialysis Center.
In fall 2013, UF Health Shands hospitals and programs achieved a third-consecutive Magnet designation. UF Health Jacksonville received this honor in 2011. Each designation lasts four years. Magnet designation is the nursing profession’s most prestigious honor for exceeding standards in quality patient care and nursing excellence. Only about 400 hospitals worldwide, and less than 7 percent of U.S. hospitals, have achieved Magnet designation.
Best Employers Honors
In 2015 and 2016, UF and UF Health were included in Forbes’ listing of “America’s Best Employers.” Out of thousands of employers in the country, 500 employers in 25 industries were selected. In 2016, UF Health was ranked No. 16 among all health care providers on the list.
In 2016, UF Health Shands was named among the 150 great places to work in health care by Becker’s Healthcare.
Cancer Center of Excellence
In March 2015, Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Department of Health recognized the University of Florida Health Cancer Center, with locations in Gainesville and Orlando, as a state-designated Cancer Center of Excellence. The designation by the Florida Legislature recognizes hospitals and treatment centers that demonstrate excellence in patient-centered coordinated care for people undergoing cancer treatment and chemotherapy.
The Department of Health based the designation on a “systems approach” to improving the quality of cancer care, focused on three areas: the health care organization, the health care team members and patients and family members.
In March 2015, UF Health Shands Hospital was awarded the Baby-Friendly designation by Baby-Friendly USA, a global initiative of the World Health Organization and UNICEF that recognizes birthing facilities that implement specific breastfeeding procedures.
The hospital is the only academic health facility in the state of Florida, the seventh hospital in the state of Florida and the only one in North Central Florida to successfully implement all the required standards for this designation, which will allow the staff to educate and encourage skills that result in successful breastfeeding.
Beacon Award for Excellence
UF Health Shands Hospital currently has five nursing care units with active Beacon Awards for Excellence: the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (gold), the Trauma/Lung Transplant Unit (gold), the Medical ICU (silver), the Neuro ICU (silver) and the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (bronze).
A gold, silver or bronze Beacon Award is a three-year designation that recognizes teams that meet national criteria consistent with Magnet recognition, the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and the National Quality Healthcare Award. The award identifies healthy work environments that recognize unit caregivers who successfully improve patient outcomes and align practices with American Association of Critical-Care Nurses’ guidelines. Winning teams meet evidence-based criteria for leadership structures and systems; appropriate staffing and staff engagement; effective communication, knowledge management, learning and development; and evidence-based practices and processes.
Florida Governor's Sterling Award
In 2008, UF Health Shands Hospital was recognized with the Florida Governor's Sterling Award — the state's top honor for performance excellence. UF Health was the largest organization to receive this prestigious award since its introduction in 1993. Few health care systems have been recognized this way for quality, outcomes and organizational excellence.
UF Health Shands Hospital showed strong results across all facilities for 80 percent of reported data, consistently performing in the top 25 percent in key health care industry measures, with some approaching the top 10 percent, or benchmark levels.
Issued by the Florida Sterling Council, the Governor's Sterling Award is based on the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award criteria for performance excellence, issued by the National Institute of Standards and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce.
- The UF Health Science Center is a world leader in interdisciplinary research, and consistently generates more than 50 percent of UF's total research awards.
- UF Health Shands Hospital consistently earns top-50 rankings in the U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Hospitals report. In the 2015-16 report, it was recognized in seven specialties: nephrology (13th nationally); diabetes and endocrinology (28th nationally); pulmonology (29th nationally); urology (37th nationally); neurology and neurosurgery (40th nationally); cardiology and heart surgery (42nd nationally); and cancer (46th nationally).
- UF Health Shands Children's Hospital was recognized among the nation’s best in seven medical specialties in the 2015-16 U.S. News Best Children’s Hospitals rankings: diabetes and endocrinology (16th nationally); cancer (29th nationally); cardiology and heart surgery (29th nationally); pulmonology (34th nationally); neonatology (37th nationally); nephrology (40th nationally); and gastroenterology and GI surgery (49th nationally).
- UF Health Jacksonville was recognized in the 2015-16 U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Hospitals report as a high-performing hospital in three specialties: nephrology; neurology and neurosurgery; and urology.
- UF Health Shands Hospital and UF Health Jacksonville are each designated as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Agency for Health Care Administration; and each is certified as a Primary Stroke Center with the Gold Seal of Approval™ by The Joint Commission. Both hospitals are recipients of the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold (UF Health Jacksonville Gold Plus) Performance Achievement Award. UF Health Shands Hospital received the Target: Stroke Honor Roll — an elevated distinction for quality outcomes — and has received a 5-star rating for stroke care from Healthgrades.
- The Florida Nurses Association awarded the nursing program at UF Health Shands Hospital — including UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital and UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital — with the 2011 Frances Smith Award for Promotion of Clinical Excellence in the Workplace for supporting clinical excellence and fostering an environment that encourages participation in conferences, recognition events, education and mentor programs.
- LifeQuest Organ Recovery Services, operated at UF Health Shands Hospital, received the Silver Medal of Honor for Organ Donation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resources and Services Administration in 2010 and 2012.
- UF Health had 41 teams registered for the March of Dimes March for Babies in 2015 and raised $60,225. UF Health received the Gold Boot, recognizing the area’s number two fundraising team overall.
- In 2015, UF Health staff pledged $248,184.88 to the United Way Campaign. UF Health also earned a Top 10 Campaign Award from the United Way in 2013 and 2014, and the Most Creative Campaign Award in 2013.
- UF Health raised more than $44,000 and had 1,090 walkers registered for the American Heart Association’s 2015 Alachua County Heart Walk.
- UF Health had two of the top 20 fundraising teams for the 2015 American Cancer Society Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.
UF Health has received awards and honors from many organizations, including the following:
- Alachua County Medical Society - We Care Program
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- Angel Flight Southeast
- Chamber of Commerce
- Dance Alive
- Gainesville Community Orchestra
- Gainesville Harmony Show Chorus
- Gainesville Sports Commission
- Girl Scouts Gateway Council
- Greater Gainesville Black Nurses Association, Inc.
- Haven Hospice
- Hippodrome State Theatre
- Junior Achievement
- King Celebration (Honoring Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.)
- PKD Foundation
- Proton Beam Golf Tournament
- March of Dimes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission