Awards & Recognition
Governor's Sterling Award
In 2008, UF Health won the Governor's Sterling Award – the state's top honor for performance excellence. UF Health was the largest organization ever to receive this prestigious award since its introduction in 1993. Few health care systems have been recognized this way for quality, outcomes and organizational excellence.
- UF Health showed strong results across all facilities for 80 percent of reported data, consistently performing in the top 25 percent in key health care industry measures, with some approaching the top 10 percent, or benchmark levels.
- Issued by the Florida Sterling Council, the Governor's Sterling Award is based on the National Malcolm Baldrige Criteria for Performance Excellence.
ANCC Magnet Designation
Since 2003, several UF Health hospitals and programs have earned “Magnet” designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Association: UF Health Shands Hospital, including UF Health Shands HomeCare, UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital, UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital, Florida Surgical Center, Children’s Surgical Center, Shands Endoscopy Center and Shands Dialysis Center. UF Health at Jacksonville achieved this honor in 2011. The designation is the nursing profession’s most prestigious honor for exceeding standards in quality patient care and nursing excellence. Only about 400 hospitals worldwide, and less than 7 percent of US hospitals, have achieved Magnet designation.
- The UF Health Science Center is a world leader in interdisciplinary research, generating 52 percent of UF's total research awards.
- UF Health Shands Hospital consistently earns top-50 rankings in the U.S. News & World Report America’s Best Hospitals report. In the 2011-12 report, UF Health Shands Hospital was recognized in seven specialties: urology (tied for 23rd nationally); cardiology and heart surgery (tied for 27th nationally); neurology and neurosurgery (28th nationally); pulmonology (28th nationally); nephrology (tied for 35th nationally); cancer (35th nationally); and gastroenterology (38th nationally.)
UF Health Shands Children's Hospital was recognized among the nation’s best in seven medical specialties in the 2012-13 U.S. News Best Children’s Hospitals rankings. Three of the interdisciplinary UF Health pediatric programs were ranked highest in the state — diabetes and endocrinology (13th nationally), cardiology and heart surgery (24th nationally) and gastroenterology (26th nationally). UF Health Shands Children's Hospital also ranked 27th in nephrology, 31st in pulmonology, 33rd in neonatology and 49th in neurology and neurosurgery.
- UF Health Shands Hospital and UF Health Jacksonville are both designated as Comprehensive Stroke Centers by the Agency for Health Care Administration; and are certified as a Primary Stroke Centers with the Gold Seal of Approval™ by The Joint Commission. They both received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold (Shands Jacksonville Gold Plus) Performance Achievement Awards (2009).
- Florida Nurses Association 2011 Frances Smith Award for Promotion of Clinical Excellence in the Workplace. The Florida Nurses Association awarded the nursing program at UF Health Shands Hospital – including UF Health Shands Psychiatric Hospital and UF Health Shands Rehab Hospital – with the 2011 Frances Smith Award for Promotion of Clinical Excellence in the Workplace for supporting clinical excellence and fostering an environment that encourages participation in conferences, recognition events, education and mentor programs.
- LifeQuest, UF Health's Organ Recovery Service, received the silver Medal of Honor for Organ Donation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Health Resource and Services Administration (2010)
- UF Health Shands Hospital was named one of the nation's top performance-improvement leaders by Thomson Reuters, a provider of information and tools for clinical- and business-performance improvement in the health care industry.
- #1 Consumer Choice (2006-07 and 2007-08, given by Healthcare Market Guide.)
- "Order of the Battered Boot" (2006, 2007 & 2008) - awarded to the #1 Fundraising Team in WalkAmerica - by March of Dimes.
- Organ Donation Medal of Honor (2005-2007.)
- "Spirit of the Community Award" (2006) - awarded to the company who ran the most successful United Way Campaign.
Awards from Organizations
UF Health has received awards and honors from many organizations, including the following:
- Hippodrome State Theatre
- Gainesville Community Orchestra
- Chamber of Commerce
- PKD Foundation
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Commission
- Proton Beam Golf Tournament
- Dance Alive
- American Heart Association
- Haven Hospice
- Alachua County Medical Society - We Care Program
- American Cancer Society
- Stop! Children's Cancer
- March of Dimes
- United Way
- Ronald McDonald House
- Angel Flight Southeast
- Junior Achievement