The ability to operate a vehicle can be integral to a person's ability to maintain independence and mobility. UF SmartDriver™ Rehab provides driver rehabilitation services for clients in the greater Gainesville area and throughout north-central Florida.
What to expect at your appointment
Assessment and evaluation
Clients will be evaluated by a certified driver rehabilitation specialist who is skilled in addressing driving-related challenges, caused by the onset of a medical condition, functional decline, or due to normal aging.
The comprehensive driving evaluation includes an assessment of functions critical for safe driving. These functions include cognitive, visual, visual perception, motor, and other sensory functions.
Following the clinical assessment, the certified driver rehabilitation specialist assesses the client’s driving skill using a test vehicle in real traffic conditions. In special cases, the certified driver rehabilitation specialist may perform the driving evaluation in a state-of-the-art driving simulator.
Each client receives a personalized assessment and intervention plan from the specialist. The driving intervention plan may include:
- Behind-the-wheel training to refresh driving skills
- Driver rehabilitation to compensate for a loss of function
- Ensuring clients continue to participate in their communities via appropriate mobility
- Prescribing adaptive equipment - for example, wide angled mirrors to improve visibility
- Prescribing vehicle modification strategies
- Recommending environmental strategies - for example, recommending a new driving route
- Referral to another health care specialist
- Remediation to mitigate the effects of a medical condition
To participate in the UF SmartDriver™ Rehab, clients must:
- Have a driver’s license or driving permit
- Have medical clearance from their physician
- Meet the State of Florida’s vision requirements
- Adhere to the State of Florida’s regulatory requirements for operating a motor vehicle.
- Contact our office via email for more information on the UF SmartDriver™ Rehab program.
- View the SmartDriver™ Rehab Brochure
- Keep up with the Latest SmartDriver™ news
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF SmartDriver™ Rehab, please contact (352) 273-6620.
Pay your bill
Payment is due at the time services are provided. Accepted payment methods are:
- Credit Card
Workman’s compensation vouchers are accepted.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.
Beth A Gibson, OTR/L, CDRS