Appointments for comprehensive driving evaluations and driver rehabilitation services are available beginning June 30. The SmartDriver Rehab Services office remains open and we are available for phone calls to assist with any service related questions.
The ability to operate a vehicle can be integral to a person's ability to maintain independence and mobility. UF SmartDriver Rehab provides driver rehabilitation services for clients in the greater Gainesville area and throughout north-central Florida.
Assessment and Evaluation
Clients will be evaluated by a certified driver rehabilitation specialist who is skilled in addressing driving-related challenges, caused by the onset of a medical condition, functional decline, or due to normal aging.
The comprehensive driving evaluation includes an assessment of functions critical for safe driving. These functions include cognitive, visual, visual perception, motor, and other sensory functions.
Following the clinical assessment, the certified driver rehabilitation specialist assesses the client’s driving skill using a test vehicle in real traffic conditions. In special cases, the certified driver rehabilitation specialist may perform the driving evaluation in a state-of-the-art driving simulator.
Each client receives a personalized assessment and intervention plan from the specialist. The driving intervention plan may include:
- behind-the-wheel training to refresh driving skills
- remediation to mitigate the effects of a medical condition
- driver rehabilitation to compensate for a loss of function
- prescribing vehicle modification strategies
- prescribing adaptive equipment - for example, wide angled mirrors to improve visibility
- recommending environmental strategies - for example, recommending a new driving route
- referral to another health care specialist
- ensuring clients continue to participate in their communities via appropriate mobility
To participate in the UF SmartDriver Rehab, clients must:
- Have a driver’s license or driving permit
- Have medical clearance from their physician
- Meet the State of Florida’s vision requirements
- Adhere to the State of Florida’s regulatory requirements for operating a motor vehicle.
For More Information
To obtain a copy of your medical records from UF SmartDriver Rehab, please contact 352-273-6620.
Pay your bill
Payment is due at the time services are provided. Accepted payment methods are:
Workman’s compensation vouchers are accepted.
Financial AssistancePatients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level.
UF Health is tobacco-free
Help us maintain our strong commitment to patients and to promoting good health in our communities: please don't smoke, chew tobacco or use electronic cigarettes on UF Health-owned or -operated properties. Thank you.