- UF Health Shands
- Financial Assistance Applications - Gainesville
- Financial Assistance Policies
- Price Transparency and Patient Billing
- Hospital prices and Performance Data
- Financial Assistance - UF Health Rehab Hospital
- Financial Assistance - UF Health Jacksonville
UF Health Shands provides financial assistance to the patients it serves in accordance with federal regulations. Those patients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive, may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level.
- Any patient who’s total gross family income is less than 200% of the current federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a full charity care discount (100%).
- Gross family includes all members of the immediate family and their dependents in the household. This includes any adult and, if married, a spouse and any natural or adopted minor children of said adults.
Uninsured patients who are not eligible for assistance under the financial assistance policy may be eligible for a self-pay discount of 45% off of UF Health Shands’ charges. The self-pay discount does not relieve nor forgive point-of-service cash payments that the patient may be required to pay. Also, the discount will not be applied to any “cosmetic” or other elective services.
Financial counselors are available to assist patients in assessing if they qualify for any programs or coverage.
- In order to be considered for full assistance, you must complete, sign and provide all supporting documentation required on our Financial Assistance Application.
- Financial Assistance polices apply to United States residents.
- Non-United States residents may be reviewed on an exception basis (emergent, urgent or traumatic care, but may not apply to aftercare / follow-up services).
- Please allow 7 business days for our review process. We will notify you of our determination of qualification by letter.
Obtain a Paper Copy
You can also obtain a financial assistance application by calling a financial counselor at 352-265-7906 or toll free at 800-342-5364, or request one by mail:
UF Health Shands Customer Service
PO Box 100334
Gainesville, FL 32610
In addition, financial assistance applications can be picked up free of charge at the following locations:
- UF Health Shands Hospital
Room 1331 (on the first floor between the Atrium and east entrances)
7 a.m. - Midnight
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital
Room 1319 (off the lobby)
5:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday
- UF Health Shands Psychiatric and Rehab Hospitals
- UF Health Patient Financial Services
4024 NW 22nd Drive
Gainesville, FL. 32605
8 a.m - 4:30 p.m
Monday through Friday
Patients eligible for financial assistance at UF Health Shands will not be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than amounts generally billed to patients having insurance under Medicare.
Alternate Language Formats
- Solicitud de asistencia economica (Espanol)
- Política de asistencia economica (Espanol)
- Política de facturaciones y cobranzas (Espanol)
- Financial Assistance Application (Chinese)
- Financial assistance policy (Chinese)
- Billing and collections policy (Chinese)
In an effort to place emphasis on health care transparency for Florida's consumers, The Agency for Health Care Administration developed the Florida Health Price Finder website to provide consumers with as much information about pricing and quality as possible. UF Health has provided a link to the Florida Health Price Finder website to help you make more informed health decisions.
The service bundle information provided is a non-personalized estimate of the costs that may be incurred by the patient for anticipated services. The actual costs will be based on services actually provided. Information regarding UF Health's financial assistance, charity care and collection policies can be found at the top of this page.
Patients should contact the healthcare practitioner(s) anticipated to provide services to the patient while in the hospital regarding a personalized estimate, billing practices, and participation with the patient's insurance provider or HMO as the practitioners may not participate with the same health insurers or HMO as the hospital.
Services provided at a UF Health facility by providers not employed by UF Health are billed independently nd are not covered under this policy.
Los servicios prestados en el centro de salud de UF Health por proveedores que no son empleados de UF Health son facturados independientemente y no están cubiertos bajo esta póliza.
Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) data on hospital pricing and performance is available at www.FloridaHealthFinder.gov. Pricing and performance data provided by AHCA is a compilation of charges for the average patient, and your bill may vary from the average depending on a number of factors. The range of charges at UF Health as reported by AHCA are $14,437 (low) and $63,294 (high) for the period July 2016 through June 2017; this information can be found at www.floridahealthfinder.gov/CompareCare/CompareFacilities.aspx. Patients may request a more personalized estimate of charges by contacting the hospital at (352) 265-0236.
Services may be provided in the hospital by the facility as well as by other health care practitioners who may separately bill the patient. Health care practitioners who provide services in the hospital may or may not participate with the same health insurers or health maintenance organizations as the hospital. Prospective patients should contact the health care practitioner who will provide services in the hospital to determine which health insurers and health maintenance organizations the practitioner participates in as a network provider or preferred provider.
UF Health Rehab Hospital provides medically necessary healthcare services to individuals without discrimination and regardless of their ability to pay. Patients who are unable to pay for their healthcare services may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income. Patients who have a family adjusted income less than 200% of current federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a discount up to 100%.
UF Health Jacksonville provides emergency (as defined by the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act EMTALA), urgent and other medically necessary healthcare services to individuals without discrimination and regardless of their ability to pay. Patients who are unable to pay for their healthcare services may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income. Patients who have a family adjusted income less than 200% of current federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a discount up to 100%.