UF Health Shands provides financial assistance to the patients it serves in accordance with federal regulations. Those patients who lack insurance coverage or are unable to pay their portion of the healthcare services they receive, may qualify for financial assistance based upon their income level. Any patient who has a family adjusted income less than 200% of the current federal poverty guidelines is eligible for a full charity care discount (100%).
Uninsured patients who are not eligible for assistance under the financial assistance policy may be eligible for a self-pay discount of 45% off of UF Health Shands’ charges. The self-pay discount does not relieve nor forgive point-of-service cash payments that the patient may be required to pay. Also, the discount will not be applied to any “cosmetic” or other elective services.
Financial counselors are available to assist patients in assessing if they qualify for any programs or coverage.
Financial Assistance Applications
- In order to be considered for full assistance, you must complete, sign and provide all supporting documentation required on our Financial Assistance Application.
- Financial Assistance polices apply to Florida residents, and that non-Florida residents may be reviewed on an exception basis.
- Please allow 7 business days for our review process. We will notify you of our determination of qualification by letter.
Obtain a Paper Copy
You can also obtain a financial assistance application by calling a financial counselor at 352-265-0355 or toll free at 800-342-5364, or request one by mail:
UF Health Shands Customer Service
PO Box 100334
Gainesville, FL 32610
In addition, financial assistance applications can be picked up free of charge at the following locations:
- UF Health Shands Hospital (North Tower) Admissions Department, Room 1331, on the first floor between the Atrium and east entrances, open from 7 a.m. to midnight, seven days a week
- UF Health Shands Cancer Hospital (South Tower) Admissions Department, Room 1319, off the lobby, open from 5:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday
- UF Health Shands Psychiatric and Rehab Hospitals Room 1105.5
Patients eligible for financial assistance at UF Health Shands will not be charged more for emergency or medically necessary care than amounts generally billed to patients having insurance under Medicare.
Financial Assistance Policies
Alternate Language Formats
- Solicitud de asistencia economica (Espanol)
- Política de asistencia economica (Espanol)
- Política de facturaciones y cobranzas (Espanol)