Your Health Information
How your Health Information CAN be Used
To make sure that your health information is protected in a way that doesn’t interfere with your health care, your information can be used and shared:
- For your treatment and care coordination.
- To pay doctors and hospitals for your health care and help run their businesses.
- With your family, relatives, friends or others you identify who are involved with your health care or your health-care bills, unless you object.
- To make sure doctors give good care and nursing homes are clean and safe.
- To protect the public’s health, such as by reporting when the flu is in your area.
- To make required reports to the police, such as reporting gunshot wounds.
How your Health Information CANNOT be Used
Without your written permission, your provider cannot:
- Give your health information to your employer.
- Use or share your health information for marketing or advertising purposes.
- Share private notes about your mental health counseling sessions.
Adapted from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office for Civil Rights
How do I get copies of my medical records?
To obtain copies of your medical records, please submit a request form to:
Health Information Management
PO Box 100345
Gainesville, FL 32610
Health Information Management is located in room 1351 at UF Health Shands Hospital or visit UFHealth.org/contact-us for more details.